MODIFIED LAWS OF THE GAME – YOUTH SOCCER
- NO CASTS!!! NO EXCEPTIONS
- No Jewelry, that includes earrings – NO EXCEPTIONS, only medical bracelets or necklaces, and they must be taped down.
- Braces, at the referees discretion, with safety being the guide. Post ACL repair are ok.
- Recommended that Home team wear white (light). Home team must change if there is an issue, and pinnies are allowed if alternate jersey is not available.
- Technical Area on opposite sides of the field
- Fans and parents sit on the same side as their team
- U12 and below, NO HEADING. Intentional heading – IFK.
- U10 and younger NO Slide Tackles!
- Maximum of 3 credentialed team officials are allowed on the bench.
- Player and Coach passes are to be retained by the referee during the match. For send offs and dismissals, the player or coach pass must be retained.
Field of Play
Games in Folsom will be assigned appropriately for the age group.
U5 – U8 play with size 3 soccer ball
U9 – U12 play with size 4 soccer ball
U13 – U19 play with size 5 soccer ball
Number of Players & Substitutions
U9&U10 7v7 with one player designated as a goalkeeper (Minimum of 5 players)
U11&U12 9v9 with one player designated as a goalkeeper (Minimum of 6 players)
U13 – U19 11v11 with one player designated as a goalkeeper (Minimum of 7 players)
Substitutions for U9-U19 should only be made during natural stoppages and are unlimited.
Unlimited substitutions. A substitute shall not enter the field of play until he/she has been given a signal to do so by the referee or assistant referee.
Substitutions by either team are allowed at any stoppage of play with the permission of the referee. Referees can deny a substitution if they deem it excessive, or of a time wasting nature. Coaches must be respectful of the integrity of the game, and not use the free substitution rules as a means of disrupting the game.
If a player is wearing a sweatshirt or hoodie, make sure it is safe, and the hood is tucked into the shirt. Be flexible with uniform issues in recreation soccer. The concept is fun, and exercise.
The Referee and Assistant Referee
The number of game officials assigned for a specific match will be appropriate for the rules of competition.
Duration of the Match
U5 – U8 4 x 10 quarters, with 5 minute breaks in between quarters.
U9 & U10 play two 25 minute halves with a 10-minute half-time break
U11 & U12 play two 30 minute halves with a 10-minute half-time break.
U13 & U14 play two 35-minute halves with a minimum 10-minute half-time break.
U15 & U16 play two 40-minute halves with a 15-minute half-time break.
U17 & up play two 45-minute halves with a 15-minute half-time break.
Start and Restart of Play
No modifications. Never Change a restart!!
U5-U8 No Offside enforcement.
U9 &U10 (7v7) – Offside enforced at the Build Out Line
U9-Up Offside is enforced, per FIFA Laws of the Game and directives.
Fouls and Misconduct
U5-U8 – Officiated by coach or parent: all fouls shall result in an indirect free kick (IFK). The referee/coach/parent must explain ALL infringements to the offending player. No cards shown for misconduct.
Free Kicks and Penalty Kicks
Parent and Coach officiate games, U5 – U8 All kicks are IFK.
U5 – U8 – Opponents must be at least 10 feet from the ball until it is in play. No penalty kicks.
U9 – U12 – Both Direct and Indirect Kicks are awarded. Standoff is 8 yards. Penalty kicks can be awarded, and the mark is 10 yards from the goal line.
U13 & Up – Both Direct and Indirect Kicks are awarded. Standoff is 10 yards. Penalty kicks can be awarded, and the mark is 12 yards from the goal line.
U5 – U8 Players shall throw the ball in to restart play, although one (1) re-throw is allowed with an explanation. Defenders should be 4 yards away.